View Single Post
Old 04-18-07, 05:57 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
What a Clydesdale wears

Here's a recent post from my blog. Any suggestions for changes, deletions, and additions to my cycling gear from my fellow Clydesdales?

Doug the MN Bike Commuter has a post about his winter cycling gear here. After reading it, I've been motivated to list my biking wardrobe for the world's comment. Most of it was purchased from my local bike shop, but some I got elsewhere, either because I had a gift certificate or some other reason. In the case of my first jersey and shorts, I got them even before I got the bike!

Helmet:

Trek mountain bike helmet in black. I got it the same day I got the bike. I suppose roadies will sneer at me for riding on roads with a mountain bike helmet. So be it.

Balaclava:

Trek, in dark gray/black.

Gloves:

Descente long fingered winter gloves. black and gray. Wonderful gloves.

Performance login fingered neoprene gloves, black. I've only worn these in the photo on my blog.

Performance short fingered gloves, red.

Jerseys:

Before I list these, let me mention the base layer I wear under them. I know you shouldn't wear anything under a jersey, but the prospect of all that loose skin bouncing around on a ride.... yuck. So I wear a short-sleeved compression shirt underneath. I have several from different manufacturers, but the cheap ones available at Wal-mart work fine. Sizes are XL to XXL.

Short sleeved:

Yellow Bike Nashbar jersey, size XXL. You can see it on this blog. I got it before I got the bike. I have yet to find anyone who likes the color.

Red Performance jersey. Size XXL.

Blue and white Trek mountain bike jersey, Size XXL. I wear this sometimes as a normal athletic shirt, since it doesn't look like a jersey.

FatCyclist.com jersey. On order, and coming in May. Size XXL, 44-47 inch chest, and I better damn well fit into it!

Team Copaxone jersey. I'll be getting one in September. Aiming for XL.

Long sleeved:

Descente in blue and black, size XXL. The only long sleeved jersey that fits me.

Trek insulated jersey in powder blue. Size XXL. Still too small for me.

Performance "Century" jersey in red and black. Size XXL. Still too small for me.

Shorts:

Nashbar mountain bike shorts, the basic cheap ones. Size XXL. I bought them before I got the bike, and even though they now fit me, I hate them. They split me in half while riding. Bibs are the way to go.

Trek bibs, size XL. These fit like a second skin.

Performance gel bibs, size XXL. These feel more comfortable than the Trek, but they are probably too large for me. The shoulder straps are always sliding down, for instance.

Tights:

Performance "Century" tights, size XL. These have a built in chamois. Never worn.

Trek heavyweight tights. size XL. I wear these over shorts, since they don't have a chamois. Wonderfully warm in the cold weather.

Socks:

Too many to number. Only one pair of wool socks, which is a pain since I need to wash them daily.

Shoes:

Specialized mountain bike shoes with SPD multi-release cleats, size 47, red, gray, and black. My first bike shoes, purchased on my 41st birthday. That was three months ago, and already they are showing a lot of wear. And so I got:

Forte mountain bike shoes, size 47, gray, white, and black. No cleats installed yet. I want to get them broken in before I set them up to match my pedals.

Jacket:

Yellow Performance, size XL. Too small, but I wear it anyway. I will shrink into it.