Old 04-18-07, 09:32 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Hard Hat & Hard Tail

I've been absent from here for a week or so. Though not often, occasionally I have to do some field work. Last week our company field superintendent was on vacation, so I had to step back and supervise some drilling. It was 24 hour a day stuff, sleep when you can. This was a project that was three years in the planning. To reach under the Brazos river at 5000' deep we cut a location from the side of a rather steep slope and then drilled directionally. The hill behind the rig is the highest point within 40miles. Being the boss, I was able to take along my newly upgraded old Schwinn Mesa and ride the roads as opportunity arose. We have a great relationship with the landowner, who welcomed me to bike offroad wherever I was big enough to ride.

Its not often you get to bike on the job, but I was able to ride nearly every day. The pictures don't do it justice. One of the climbs was 400 feet in about 1/4 of a mile....like 25% grade. All in all I had about a 5 mile loop I could ride, which had at least 2000 feet of climbing. Switchbacks? No, they cost too much and tear up too much land, so we just build roads up and over, then grade them closed when we're finished and let nature get rid of them, which it usually does. I kept to the roads rather than going off on little used trails. I now have a new found respect for Stapfam and his mountain biking.

The view was spectacular for our little chunk of hill country here in NTx, with two big bends of the Brazos under a 300 foot bluff. Not much by some standards, but pretty nevertheless. Just wanted to share a few pictures with you guys. That last picture is the view I had out the front of my housing trailer. My apologies for some of the pic quality.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-21-07 at 04:18 PM.