Old 04-21-07, 12:53 PM
don04

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some advice please

Hello all. New Clyde member here.

My wife and I are looking to get into road riding. We used to ride MTB, but the ease and call of the road are too strong to resist. I have been quite sick over the past few years, and now have a clean bill of health. I need to lose 80 or so lbs that I put on while sick.
Me - 5'8 280 lbs
Mrs. 5'2 125 lbs.

I have searched extensively for suggestions for bikesin the forums...

So far I have learned...
1. Hybrid is a good place to start.
2. Trek 7.x series are pretty good
3. Most other manufacturers have hybrids that are good also.

I live north of Boston. I went to CycleLoft in Burlington MA today, and felt like I was getting the cold shoulder, no one really seemed interested. They are a Trek dealer. I started asking about 7.2, 7.3, etc... and given my price range... ~600, what is my best bet. The response.. Get the 7.5. It is the best. If we want to try them, there is a parking lot next door. Buy the bike... you get just the bike.

I then went to another dealer (Giant and Cannondale) in Bedford MA. These guys were great. Took the time to show me Giant FCR series, talk about differences, compare to Cannondale... They want us to come in (they are at the start of a bike trail) and test drive the bikes, make sure they are correct. They even have some leftover 2006's, the FCR2 is probably plenty of bike for us. Oh yeah, one year free service with the sale.

Now... my questions:
Everyone seems to have good things about the Trek. Is it truly superior, or will I be ok with the Giant FCR2? I have not test ridden anything yet. The second place said we need to come back in clothes for riding so we can get a true feel for the bike.

FCR1 - FCR2 - FCR3? In your opinion, do you think the FCR2 is enough? We plan to start slow, and work our way up. I need to lose some weight due to health issues. I don't want to buy a bike, and then spend all my time wondering if it was the right choice.

So please, fellow Clydesdales... help guide me.

don04