View Single Post
Old 04-21-07, 12:59 PM
M_S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone is going to recommend that you get the Surly Cross Check due to its versatility. Since your price range appears to a be little higher than the stock build, you may want to do your own build-up. Or you could just replace parts gradually on the stock build, sell some of what it comes with, etcetera.

Your situation gets tricky when you say that you want to do long distance touring and cross racing. Most non-high level race cross bikes can be set up for some touring, and most touring bikes can be set up for a surprising amount of off-roading. However, touring bikes don't make good cross racers except for a real beginner (at least so I hear, I don't race). Likewise, cross bikes can tour, but I would much rather have a true touring bike for a tour that's beyond 5 days or so. The longer wheelbase allows for a more ideal position of the panniers, and the ability to put on a front rack can make a long tour much more enjoyable.

I guess the question is how long are your tours going to be?

If you know you want a cross bike, though, the Jamis Nova is a good bike. Some might call it a bit on the heavy side, but it seems a good balance of weight and practicality. The triple chainring is going to be pretty crucial if you are doing tours with a fair amount of weight in a hilly area, unless you're a real masochist.

For the chainring reason I'd also go for the tricross triple over the double. Keep in mind also that for touring nothing is needed over 105 level componentry, and tiagra is usally quite good enough, as anything Tiagra and up (some might say sora and up?) is quite reliable. Probably not an issue for you through, since you will be looking mostly at Tiagra/105 mixes in your price range.