View Single Post
Old 04-22-07, 07:58 AM
Lost Pup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I own and have owned Trek and Cannondale bikes and I like both. I agree with comments that the LBS is the most important part of the deal for the novice.

As a Cylde I would look at the quality of the wheel parts to determine my "minimum" bike to purchase. Constant trips to the LBS can really diminish the fun factor.

Trek lists the Shimano FH-RM60 Rear Cassette Hub for the 7300 and then goes to the Bontrager Select wheels on the 7500. The Shimano hub is a standard lace cassette hub at the low end of their scale about $15-$20 just for the rear hub. The Bontrager wheels go to the 24 x paired setup wheels.

I would ask the LBS about the durability / capacity of the wheels to avoid pitfalls, constant loosening / broken spokes / hub adjustments can and do happen.

Front Suspension is another issue as each fork has a limit of adjustment available. Check to see how it rides and if there is some type of preload adjustment on the fork.

As a fellow clyde I tend to say spend more on the initial purchase to avoid future issues if you wish or as others have stated buy it then run to the ground and then upgrade to a new bike when you know what you want a bit more.

I have friends who have had the "starter" bike for years and others than barely made a few weeks before upgrading to another.

Good Luck