Bikkhu
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buro9
Several people have mentioned larger tyres with lower pressure. But for me a smooth ride is one where the effort is low and the speed is great... that of the most efficiency.

Reducing rolling resistance is what defines a tyres influence on a smooth ride.

Isn't that why the majority of us ride thin, treadless, high-pressure tyres? Speed and smoothness?

I'm not going to let air out of my tyres to gain a 'smooth' ride, when in reality it's just cheap suspension and the penalty for doing so will be higher rolling resistance which means more effort to roll along, and may also mean the ride is 'bouncy'.
It really depends on the air volume of the tire. I gave up riding high-pressure 23īs few years ago. Just stupid to do that on average city pavement and I like to keep fillings in my teeth. Nowdays I am a big fan of tires with more air volume and am an advocate of "balloon bike" concept. Currently I ride Schwalbe Kojak 35/700 slicks. But then again, donīt ride so fast anymore, either. But I do think that bigger tires with slightly less air pressure equals more comfort, with almost no noticeable increase in rolling resistance and also help to keep those bearings and rims sweet.