View Single Post
Old 03-23-04, 07:27 PM
trekkie820

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4600 SS, 2016 Cannondale Cujo 2 SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, just as the title says, i am going to open up to everyone and tell you about my life. Everyday, i wake up, and i do the same thing, i eat the same government bagel washed down with the gov't milk and coffee(state school). I get on my bike and ride it to and from class, which is usually a 2 way total of a mile, and i have three classes a day. Due to my long distance relationship, i have very little here to fill in the massive void that i feel when i am not with my girlfriend. Before, this void was just sitting there, unused, unfilled. This was last year, same time as now, when i was a freshman. At around this time, i weighed about a cool 270 pounds, and literally sat in my room on saturday nights and cried(yeah, yeah, shut up, men are sensitive too). At the end of the school year, i was 300 pounds(May 2003). I would be out of breath walking from my living room to the kitchen. Over this past summer, i worked with a guy who rides a mountain bike and races, and lost a lot of weight doing it. So, with a little bank account drainage, i bought my first real bike, my beloved Trek 820. Throughout the summer, i lost about 30-40 pounds, so i started school at about 260. During the summer, i was able to be with my girl, so my void was filled, and i was happy. Beginning this year, i had my crappy old bike to get to and from classes(i had to weld the cranks to the friggin BB spindle!). After that wore out, i paid about 20 bucks for a Roadmaster MTclimber, POS. I was starting to get sick of that, and the feeling of a void started to return(must be the spring semester...), so i poked around on my main web site, www.spokejunkies.com , and a guy on the site offered me my new love, my beloved single speed Concord road bike. So, with a little waiting around, and some elbow grease, i put it all together. Amazingly, the bike filled my void, i no longer feel sad, i love riding it, it is the center of my day, my favorite thing to wake up to(unless my girlfriend is here )! I never, ever would have thought that riding this single speed would give me such an excellent work out and such a zen like connection to the road, and the thing freewheels! im looking forward to riding it fixed, so that great feel is even more so. Meanwhile, my weight, through careful dieting and riding my bike(s) has leveled off at about 210 pounds, and while im still trying to lose, i am absolutely loving the new life i created for my self.

So, when you go out and look at your fixie/singlespeed tomorrow, hold this little story in your head, and think of how much my singlespeed has helped my life while being in the terrible grip of a long distance relationship!