Old 04-24-07, 02:05 PM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe I just have glue for bearing grease, but I actually find myself puffing harder on a geared bike than a fixie.

I just get lazy with my pedalstroke on a fixie when I can let my momentum push my crank around. With a freewheeling bike, I have to haul it up and around all the time. When I transition between the two, I'll have pedaling "gaps" on the freewheel where I've let the fixie momentum do the work. I also tend to go as fast as I can, which on my fixie tops out (43X13), but on the gearie I can almost always be going faster. I guess I could up the gear ratio but then my knees might explode. They are already at the limit.

One thing that riding fixed does well is get you in the habit of always having the pedals in motion.