Stringrazor
ReNewing Rider

Bikes: old 10-speed...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting Back in the Saddle @ 52

Bikes have changed a lot since I bought a 10-speed when I was 17. I've missed riding so I put together a 10-speed from parts and did a couple of short rides. While it felt good to be riding it was obvious I needed to get a bike that fit my 250+lbs 52-year old self and not the 17 year old kid I used to be.

So I went to some local shops and tried 3 bikes yesterday: a Trek 7200, Specialized Crossroades Elite and Sirrus. The experience was great but it didn't answer the question of what's the right bike for me.

I live on a hillside so any riding I do will involve moderate hill climbing. I'll probably do most of my riding solo but I have a buddy who's deep into road training and does century rides often. I don't aspire to join his club but would like to be able to ride with him casually once in a while. My goal is weight loss and enjoyment.

I thought I wanted a hybrid bike but after riding the Sirrus, I wonder if I'd tire of the hybrid quickly. The Sirrus was certainly lighter and its skinny tires gave much less resistence. It also felt familiar but was also not nearly as comfortable as the hybrids. I doubt I'll do much if any trail riding though. I'm anxious to get out and ride soon but don't want to buy a bike I'll tire of. Several folks in the General thread suggested picking up a cheap used bike and riding for a while before spending money on something more permanent. Not knowing bike brands and prices, buying used/ebay would be a crap shoot.

Advice, suggestions, comments?

---- Gary ----