Old 04-25-07, 11:39 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
What difference does it make it if a cyclist is entering a RTOL from the rear (something motorists do often anyway) or if he's entering a theoretical RTOL from the rear (the rear being where most motorists merge into the lane to make their turn)? Similarly, what's the difference between going straight at the end of a RTOL or at the end of a theoretical RTOL? What's keeping you from left biasing in a full lane width shoulder and RTOL?

Throughout the above, I'm intentionally leaving out the legal implications of not abiding by the paint of the road. I realize that the paint makes a difference in the eyes of the legal system but I personally have not seen it make a difference operationally on roads of this type.
Well it is about the legal and the practical. (practial meaning what other drivers expect)

First off though, Bek is not describing a RTOL. It is a restricted lane for busses, bicycles and right turning vehicles. Thru traffic is permitted, there is no 'ONLY'

If there is not a marked begining and end to a RTOL, then vehicles merging into it must yield to thru traffic, both legally and practically. If there is no marked end to the lane, then legally and practically vehcles can and will continue straight.

Operationally it is very different due to what I call practical above.
In fact the road in this video used to have a continuous RTOL. There were too many accidents from not proper yielding, drivers woudl get into it too soon before their turn and speed (with blinker on) and exiting/entering drivers would turn in front of them, so it was broken into multiple RTOLs with gore areas in between - I haven't heard if accident rate changed.

Al