Old 04-27-07, 03:54 AM
mrfish

Bikes: Trek T200 plus enough others to fill a large shed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the words of Lance, It's not about the bike.

As long as the bike changes gear reliably and is not a complete noodle, it makes diddly squat difference on a long hill whether you're on a $1000 second hand Trek or a $10,000 carbon beauty.

Riding the expensive on is nicer, but IMO speed difference is more about the riders than the bike. For example a reasonably fit captain and stoker of 140kg on a 20kg bike (heavy!) could put out say 300W and 200W on a decent ten minute hill, giving 500/160 = 3.125 W/kg. On a 10kg bike W/kg = 3.33

An recreational team would probably put out significantly less watts, e.g. 250 and 150 = 400W, which if they're the same weight on the light bike would be 400/160 = 2.67W/kg. Fact is as well that the recreational team would probably weigh a few kg extra, firther tilting the advantage towards the fitter team, explaining why it's not about the bike.

Second factor other than brute power is tandem-specific riding skill. In my limited experience, this is all about knowing when to sprint a hill and when not to. On a single bike I find it's easy to switch between standing and sitting and keep rythm, even on steep hills. But on a tandem it's more difficult. I prefer only to stand and sprint if I know we can make it right over the top of the hill without blowing up. This is more difficult than on the single as you have to guestimate or communicate with your team mate to make sure he/she is also keen to sprint the hill.

I don't find standing up on the pedals as a team particularly difficult, and think most people should be able to do it with a little practice. Like most things though it's difficult to do really well, as I'd be first to admit I am smoother on my single bike. Recently though we started to do standing sprints from a rolling start on flat roads. That's a lot of fun on the tandem, and will probably help the climbing too.