View Single Post
Old 04-27-07, 04:30 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
Thanks for responses everyone. If I had a 23mm versus 25mm choice of tubeless tire, I would choose the wider simply because I'm not used to road bikes. But the Hutchinson fusion 2 tubeless only comes in 23mm width. However, on the plus side is that you can ride on tubeless tires at a lower pressure. The Hutchinson fusion 2 has a maximum PSI of 120, but it should be okay for me to ride on 100 PSI with the tubeless tires ... which hopefully will take the edge out of riding on such skinny tires on radial wheels.

The verdict isn't in yet on tubeless tires, and apparently others have the same sentiment, because they are riding tubed clincher tires with their 7801-SL wheels. There were quite a few folks in the road cycle forum that recommend the Michelin Pro Race 2.
Tubeless still get punctures and trying to repair a tubeless still requires a tube. Might as well stay tubed in my opinion. I went to the michelin Pro race 2's in 23 but you can get them in 25. The other tyre recommended is the Conti GP4000. Incidentally- lower pressure in a narrow tyre defeats the object of a narrow tyre. They are meant for high pressure and lowering pressure will cause drag which will slow you down and cause increased tyre wear. As to worrying about a narrow tyre as on a road bike- Don't wory. The grip and stability is still there- even on wet roads. Or is that only my experience from years of sliding about on the mud offroad. I changed from a fat knobbly MTB tyre to road slicks with no problems.

Spike Milligan