View Single Post
Old 04-30-07, 07:55 PM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to be trite, but the real answer is: do what you like. Riding hilly, technical singletrack will pound heck out of your entire body, working your arms almost as much as your legs. If you like the fat tires, ride 'em, and put the TIME in that you'd otherwise commit to your roadie.

If you like the road, then go out and push yourself a bit. Don't think that because it's easy at your current speed that it's going to be easy at ALL speeds. Go faster. Bring your cadence up to a reasonable 90 rpm. Then 100. Try 110 or 120 and tell me what you think. Still too easy? Climb some hills. Climb them again and again, then climb them faster.

You'll find that you're suddenly "training," not just "riding the bike." Trust me, your heart WILL respond and you'll learn to enjoy speed.

Oh, and remember, your body doesn't have an odometer. You train for TIME, not distance.

Hope it helps!