Old 05-02-07, 09:04 AM
dsb137

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I have noticed the most is the difference in the people who participate. I got into cycling in th 70's after going to Roger DeCoster's MX school, being Belgian he strongly advocated cycling for training for motocross. At the time, a bike was just something to get around on since I wasn't old enough to drive, I had _no_ idea of the "sport" or any of the events... Back then you didn't see hardly any 'cyclists' on the roads and I think most felt that cycling was at least two standard deviations away from normal, and we were all OK with that...

After LeMond won the TdF, everybody figured out what those wierdo's were doing out on the road on their bikes... A lot of people came to cycling that probably wouldn't have otherwise, but still, no non-cyclist had _any_ understanding...

Triathlon... Funny, but this 'sport' came on the scene at about the same time 'yuppies' were discovered... Coincidence? Without going into all of the cliche's, these people changed cycling... Every training minute was to be maximized, analyzed, catagorized, and it seemed that no price was to great to pay for equipment that might take a couple of seconds off your PR...

Lance... No one person has done more to lift cycling in the US to a place of non-obscurity than Lance. I sort of think that Lance imposed the(his) triathlon mentality on cycling... For better or worse... For everything that Lance has done for cycling I think that most will agree that the people who came to cycling as a result of the 'Lance Effect' are a different sort of person... Lance made cycling cool in the US, and people who do things because they are 'cool'... well, I wouldn't know, I've never been cool...

Just the observations of an old guy... that still rides tubulars... on 32 spoke wheels...