Old 05-04-07, 01:17 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
In addition to John Pucher, there are other individuals and organizations working for a more sustainable future with more equitable transporatation choices than the American Dream Coalition and John Forester; off the top of my head, they include the Victoria Transportation Policy Institute, Redefining Progress, Right of Way, Charles Komanoff, Jim Kunstler, Michael Bluejay and many others.

Except for exposing JF as the hack for the status quo that he has become, and incorporating the kernel of good advice that he gave out on cycling a long time ago, we should all put him and his wacky social theories on ignore and move on to more positive work ensuring the sustainability and equality of our society into the new post-oil century.
I know much of the works of the people and organizations cited above. I think that one can reasonably describe all of them as anti-motoring, but that is not the relevant issue here. The issue is whether or not the person or organization advocates doing good for cyclists. Of those above, I think it reasonable to say that only Michael Bluejay is actively doing good for cyclists. Tod Litman's VTPI attempts to consider transportation in general, with the intention of advocating for modes other than motoring, but when he considers cycling he goes for popularity rather than safety and convenience. Redefining Progress is a purely environmental organization with no expertise in bicycle transportation. Right of Way is virulently anti-motorist without understanding what's best for cyclists. Charles Komanoff has been known for years as one who makes major mistakes about bicycling accidents. Kunstler, of course, is nothing but an opponent of suburbia with no knowledge of bicycle transportation. Pucher is the only one that has had academic papers published, but his conclusions have been shown to be unfounded by normal scientific standards.

I repeat, the issue is not anti-motoring environmentalism, which may be very attractive, but the fact that all of these that are relevant to bicycle transportation (except possibly Bluejay) advocate the cyclist-inferiority bikeway system that is harmful to cyclists. It would be greatly refreshing to see an environmentalist advocate doing what is best for cyclists rather than what suits motorists.