View Single Post
Old 05-05-07, 08:17 PM
tpelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Lots of good info here!

I have a Ross Gran Eurosport that I bought new back in the '70's. It hasn't been ridden much for the last 25 years, and has spent most of that time hanging from a hook out in my barn. I got it out a couple of years ago, and found that the tires and tubes (27 x 1-1/4) wouldn't hold air - dry rotted - and hung it back up.

Just yesterday I got it out and bought two new tires and tubes at the bike shop, cleaned her up, squirted a little EB-Blaster on the works, and rode her about 4 miles today. This was the first bike ride in a quarter of a century for both of us, and we were both a little creaky.

This bike has the tempered lug frame, and on the rear of the frame at the hangars for the real wheel it's stamped "Chain Bike Corp". The bike has the old round Ross logo on the frame head, and it's painted white. All of the running gear is Shimano.

The bike seemed to ride pretty well, but I've got to take the wheels and crank off and grease the bearings. Paint is still pretty good, just a little rust at the top of the seat tube. The frame had cracked years ago at the top of the tube where the seat post is split, and I had had it welded. Otherwise no real damage or wear and tear. Still has the Ross-marked saddle in good shape (lucky the mice haven't eaten it!).

I noticed that all of the un-finished aluminum parts, like the brake levers, stem, shifters, etc. are sort of oxydized and pitted - I'd like to clean it up.

I'm 54 years old, and although I've been walking a lot for exercise I need to do something a little more aerobic. I'm getting a new Trek mountain bike, but if I get the old Ross fixed up I may ride that too!