Old 05-06-07, 01:52 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N_C
Basic control system? Really? How many of us have looked for a definition of Steering Displacement or a test for it & found nothing? Well more then one, at least more then one of us has posted about it anway. I have a feeling others have searched for it & have not posted about it, yet. I encourage them to post about their findings on this topic, what ever they may be. It would seem we are all ignorant of something this basic control system, because until now it seemed to not have existed until John Forester created it, or at least created the name for it. But maybe it is described under a differant name.

John, if this term you came up with is described under a differant more familiar name then please post it. Otherwise it sounds like something you made up out of the blue, for what ever reason. Whether you created the term in the past or just recently I don't know & the timing of it is irrelavent. But you need to come up with a bases for this theory or it is nothing more then just bull**** at this point. Please read below.

First I have no reason to test such a thing with the bike I own now nor have I ever had to on any bike I owned in the past. I mean why would one need to do this? What would it prove anyway? Other then potentially putting myself at risk of a crash. Why the need to do this on a bike? I have never even heard of such a test nor the need for an end consumer like myself to conduct one.

If you are talking in terms of swerving to avoid a hazard in the roadway I have never had to give the handle bars a sudden jerk to avoid anything like that. I either know the roadway ahead of time & for things that may have changed since I have ridden on it last I have enough control of my bike to be able to steer around a hazard or take the best path through it & still maintain control.

John, you have explained what steering displacement is. I have stated I have never had a need to do this & ask why is there or would there be such a need, other then idle curiousity, to conduct such a test at a high speed on a bike.

Now that you have explained the what, it is time for the why. Also explain your own findings with this test on a bike, any bike, but more specifically a recumbent. I would like to see some sort of statistic on the differance, based on your experience alone, of how a diamond frame road bike handles when you conduct this test compared to a recumbent.

I have called you on this, it is time to pony up & show your proof of why steering displacement is even needed.

NC, your animosity is absolutely overwhelming.

The steering displacement test is a means of evaluating the stability of a bicycle, any bicycle, that is not obviously already unstable. I have no reason to expect that diamond-frame bicycles and recumbents have any class differences in this. Each one is different.