View Single Post
Old 05-06-07, 03:12 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
It sounds more like undersleeping. This would account totally for the afternoon fatigue--the classic symptom of poor sleep.
Agreed, but it's the ol' chicken and egg thing, ya know. Which is the cause and which is the effect? (Although, of course, the egg was first, since the layer of the first chicken egg couldn't have been a chicken itself! )

Seriously, though. Of course the afternoon fatigue was caused by poor sleep, but the poor sleep was in turn caused by something else!

The RHR can also be an indirect result of sleep disturbance. During the night, HR varies dramatically depending on the stage of sleep you're in. If you wake up during a period of Higher sleep HR, your RHR will reflect this. If you're a well-trained sleeper, you'll wake up naturally, and your HR will be lower. To be suddenly jerked out of sleep by an alarm clock could certainly raise your HR.
If I let myself sleep until I wake by myself, I can't get to sleep at the same time the following night. My natural daily rhythm is about 25-26 hours. I have to sleep less than 100% to become tired at the right time at night. However, this is something I've had to do since I was 7-8 years old, and this is not a problem for me. My current sleep problems are caused by something else entirely.

The only way I know of to control for this would be to lie quietly in bed for several minutes before you check your RHR, and some books recommend this.
My RHR lying in bed is usually 4-5 bpm higher than my RHR while sitting up. Yeah, I'm weird!