View Single Post
Old 05-07-07, 07:36 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
When do you sit up?

Corallary to the when do you attack thread. When do you abandon the attack and filter back in the pack?

Yesterday in the Sugar Loaf circuit race, I attacked with a little more than half the race to go. I stayed out about 1/4th of a lap. I never got more than 20 seconds clear, and I sat up. I never intended to solo the rest of the race, but I was hoping to get a couple of people to bridge. Unfortunately, when I did slow a bit, the people trying to bridge just towed the whole field up.

In hindsight I'm thinking if I would have tried to stay out longer, and made it harder to get caught, I could have improved the odds that someone sucessfully jumped clear of the group. However, I didn't want to fry myself.

So when you make a move, and its not panning out, do you commit to it, and hope for the best, or regroup and try something else?