Old 05-07-07, 08:33 AM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fly to Europe and buy a frame there?

I originally posted this on the road bike forum but got little response.

Given the steadily increasing costs, hassle and worry of flying with a bike, how easy is it to just buy a frame over there? If you strip all your components off your existing bike and bring them and the wheels in a suitcase you avoid all the extra charges for flying with a bike (or the cost of C&C couplings), plus the cost of a bike case, and all kinds of travel issues when you get to Europe, etc. Maybe at most you might have to buy a new stem, maybe a seatpost. For me, it's a big worry about a long planned holiday being ruined if the bike gets whacked.

What do you do with the frame when you are ready to leave? Well if you really like it, bring it home, otherwise sell, trade or give it away.

This won't appeal to those in the fast lane on a one week holiday, but if you're going over to ride for a month or two then I think this idea has merit.

Anyone done this? There are lots of Europeans on here, how easy is it to buy a decent steel or aluminum frame in a common size for a couple of hundred euros?