View Single Post
Old 05-07-07, 02:35 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wind made it seem a lot cooler than it was. Once I got back, showered, and put on some normal clothes I started to notice how hot it was. I stopped at four rest stops to get cytomax/water (skipped that first one at 11 miles). I had two bottles between each stop and one water bottle at each rest stop. Count four more bottles at the end, and another couple of liters between that and bedtime and I'm still feeling really dehydrated.

Yesterday was my longest, hottest, and fastest (even in the wind) ride this year. Averaged 17.6mph, 5:40:15 (probably nothing compared to all the racers that passed me, but still fast for me). I hadn't planned on beating 6 hours, but I really underestimated how flat the course would be. The few small hills there were on 128 and the rollers on Silverado were welcome, they helped break up the monotony of the flats (you can only see so many grapevines) so I took them on full throttle. I spend the rest of the time (save for 30-40 solo miles) in the draft of as many pacelines as I could hitch a ride on (tried to do my fair share of pulling). All in all it was a lot of fun (despite some of the more boring flats and that brutal wind in the last few miles).