Bike Forums - View Single Post - Loss of drivers has hurt the us economy.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-07, 11:21 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by obliterator
If you were one of the people losing their jobs i'm sure you would be the first one to care. I'm also sure that their were many people who cared about the loss of the buggy. My point isn't the workers that directly would be hurt from the loss of their jobs in the automotive industry, but the economy that would be affected by the loss of people using the car. Are country has been built up to what we see know adays thanks to the car and if it were to become extinct so would are economy. I don't think the buggy traveled 20 miles to get organic groceries.
I suspect you're a "troll", but if you're sincere about what you write, let me point out the following:

1. It should be patently obvious to anyone that cars will be a fact of life in North America until they simply become too expensive to own or to drive. It's not like everyone in Atlanta is suddenly going to toss aside the Expedition in favor of a Trek.

2. If and when a shift away from cars occurs, it will signal an opportunity, not a crisis. If we move away from cars, the infrastructure will have to be modified; someone is going to have to make a whole lot of bikes; still others will have to help maintain those bikes, and provide parts for them; rail systems will have to be built; and so on. There will be jobs, and a lot of them, for those who are paying attention.

3. In the larger scheme of things, getting rid of cars would vastly improve the quality of life in most urban areas. Among other things, getting rid of cars would make public spaces public, and usable, again. More people would be out and about, because it would be safer and much more pleasant, which in turn would be very good for all kinds of retail businesses.

4. Finally, our (as opposed to are) country was not built up to what we see nowadays because of the car. The US became great, in economic terms, because of steel, agriculture, heavy industry, electrical production, and later, information and communications technology. (And IMHO, the basis of all of our good fortune is the US Constitution.) Cars are the result of our wealth, not a cause. Let's not confuse a luxury, a cost, for an asset.

In short, cars suck. They degrade the quality of life in urban areas, are a blight on the average person's finances, and, were their use not heavily subsidized by the government, would be economically impossible on anything near the scale we see today. Don't even begin to think our economy depends on cars. Quite the opposite.

Last edited by bragi; 05-08-07 at 12:20 AM.