Old 05-10-07, 06:37 AM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
It sounds like when you stress your legs with sprints, they don't have the ability to turn around and stress your aerobic system until the lactic acid gets out.

While doing the sprints before an interval will duplicate the situation well, it may not be the most efficient training. I would still try the workout you planned and see how it goes. It may also be a great way to monitor improvement as you correct this situation.

What I would concentrate on is sprint workouts. This simple workout will build peak power, and better prepare your legs to do work after a sprint. Three things will come of this:
  • Your legs will be more used to sprinting, and better able to do work after the sprints.
  • In an actual race, the sprints won't get faster with you, so you won't need to sprint as hard every time for the same (or better) results.
  • Your time to exhaustion at a given power output will increase.
The workouts I'm talking about are 15s explosive, with a full recovery. Some from a near standing start, some from a rolling start, some from a training partner's leadout. You should feel like puking after eight of them, and maybe only seven. Stop the workout when your sprints lose quality, as the teardown is complete. Then you can go ride some aerobic miles (you'll feel MUCH better in 10 minutes).
A little off topic but what consititutes a full recovery between 15sec sprints? I dont think Ive ever understood this.

Originally Posted by waterrockets
Another good sprint workout is a pyramid, but it gets a little aerobic and shouldn't be the foundation of your sprint development. Do 5s on, 5s off, 10s on, 10s off, 15/15, 20/20, 25/25, 30/30, 25/25, 20/20, 15/15, 10/10, and 5/5. Each sprint should be as explosive as you can be
What makes a pyramid more aerobic then other workout you mentioned?