View Single Post
Old 05-11-07, 11:47 AM
splytz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the interesting insight, comments, and links. Being in Massachusetts, my dad has access to great doctors (he's been going to Mass General), and they've put him on a beta blocker while they decide whether to put stents in or do bypass surgery - some doctors are less pessimistic about the condition of his arteries than others. However, they do want to do something within the next couple of weeks.

I didn't mean to cause a ruckus by posting some general information about my "diet." I am skeptical of anything that is labeled a "diet" (look what happened to the Atkins, and so many other "diets"). I have specific beliefs about moderation and being reasonably intelligent and generally giving some thought to what I eat. I cook most of my own food and do so with olive oil. My dad's parents probably used lard, Crisco and butter. I remember going to my grandparents' house and my grandmother boiling vegetables for two hours, leaching all the nutrients out of them. I enjoy the occasional prime rib - New York has some of the best steakhouses in the world - but don't eat red meat more than once or twice a week. I have eliminated fast food and soda from my diet, and eat almost no processed foods or refined sugar. I think people who suggest that diet is a non (or minor)-factor in heart health are a little delusional, or in denial.

I also tend to believe that we as Americans are overly obsessive about this stuff, and it gets us into trouble - it's well documented that despite their propensities for smoking, drinking too much, and not "watching what they eat," there is a lower incidence of obesity and coronary disease amongst the French, Italians and Japanese.

What I want to do is teach my dad about this stuff. Cooking less processed jasmine or basmati rice is almost as quick as fixing a pouch of Uncle Ben's (or what have you), and tastes better. Salads are quick and easy to prepare. Buying minimally processed whole grain bread is just as easy as buying a loaf of white. That kind of thing. It's really about breaking habits.

At least it'll be a start, and there's no doubt in my mind that it won't hurt.

Thanks again for the kind words.