Old 05-14-07, 06:54 AM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Healthcare in the US sucks I'm afraid.

Health insurance is offered through my school, at "low cost" and it's anything but. I looked into it a year ago. No student who is either unemployed or working part time (as I am) could afford it. And if a student were working full time with obligations (like rent, food, etc) they couldn't afford it either. Even the people at the health center of my school say it's terrible. I make too much to qualify for Medicaid (federal health care program available only to the dirt poor). There is a state run insurance program for the poor, and I make too much even for that at my part time job.

So my only options are to quit my job so I could qualify for free insurance, continue to work part time and spend virtually every penny I make on the "low cost" insurance, or go to the doctor with no insurance at all and leave up to my eyeballs in debt.

*sigh*

Maybe I really should just quit my job. The program I'm in for teacher training gives me a non taxable stipend for the summer that's almost as much as what I make working...