Old 05-14-07, 05:39 PM
John Forester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pj7
But which side of this discussion is the right side that you refer to?
There are those of us who cyle vehicularly and appreciate good facilities.
And there are those of us who cycle vehicularly and have formed a pseudo-religeon around "attitudes" and "ignoring the white stripe".
Then there are the ones who just ride and don't care about all of this "stuff".
And there are many other sides.

Your comment here makes it seem like Spy vs. Spy where it is black and white and one side is right and one side is wrong. You say that one side is talking about the proper way to cycle and the other side is.... what exactly? Talking about the improper way to cycle? I know you don't group me in with the same group as you here, so I am obviously the other side right? And if your side is cycling "proper" then I am not? I doubt that. I cycle vehicularly, I obey the laws, and I obey them as best I can because so much as a traffic ticket will break my parole and send me back to a place I do not care to be. I love my family and don't plan on leaving them, so I follow the rules of the road. But I like good bike facilities, does that make me wrong?
So yeah, emotions are playing a big role in things. I don't mean to put words in your mouth here but I will when I say what your statement is doing is telling me that you are right and I am wrong and that is exaclt how it feels right now. But I am following the rules of the road... so what am I doing wrong?

And John, when you do make a statement like this, and repeatedly make it as some on here do, and keep making emotional and personal attacks, it tends to push others away from you and discredit you. And this is the purpose of my thread, to demonstrate that and show that others feel the same.

I think that I have never described your cycling as being non-vehicular. Indeed, I know nothing about it except what you may have written herein. However, I do object to your advocacy of bikeways, because bikeways are contrary to vehicular cycling methods. Why do you think bikeways can be good, if you really believe that obeying the rules of the road is best?