View Single Post
Old 05-15-07, 11:48 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I considered the Coda Comp too, but as I am a big guy (6'1", 250) I could not get past the low spoke count wheels. You also lose the disc brakes by going to the Comp, which is not that big of a deal, some would say an improvement. The frames are made from different tubing which I wondered about. I presume the tubing is a better grade on the Elite.
Yes, Reynolds 631 tubing allows you to build a stronger, lighter bike than the 520 tubing found on the Coda Comp.

Although Jamis does play games with their frame descriptions. They don't use the 631 tubes for the entire frame. They use hi-tensile steel on the seat and chain stays, the head tube, and maybe the seat tube too - I can't get a straight answer on this. They use 520 or 631 on the top tube and down tube (and maybe the seat tube). In the USA and Canada they do not have to divulge this in their advertising, but they do have to in certain other countries. So if you read a description of the Coda Elite in the USA, it will reference their 631 cro-mo frame. But if you read one in Japan, it will say the frame uses 631 cro-mo in its main tubes.

Here's an example:
http://www.01bike.com/crossbike/jami...oda_elite.html

Jamis is not alone in this practice, a number of other manufacturers do the same thing.

Of course, the important thing is the ride itself, so if one loves the ride & the stays are hi-tensile, no big deal!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-15-07 at 01:05 PM.