Thread: Lafree Sport
View Single Post
Old 05-16-07, 01:04 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeuser
How about one magnet? 100% boost in speed?

It's strange that they use 3 magnets when just about every standalone cycling speedo (cycle-computer) uses only one magnet.

It almost looks like they engineered the thing to be beaten. Perhaps a Police pursuit model would only have one magnet?
Are those magnets easily to remove and install?
Can't you just replace the disc with magnets by a simple cycle-computer "mounted on a spoke" magnet instead?
Thank you for your suggestion. I had not thought of using a spoke-mounted magnet from a speedometer.

I'm not sure of the math, maybe removing one magnet would give a 33% increase and removing two would give a 66% increase?

At some point , air resistance would limit the top speed.

Right now, the Lafree needs a new battery, but I think I will try the spoke-mounted-magnet, when I get the new battery.

Air resistance: JeanCoutu is right, the type 5 is one of mine. Thanks, Jean, for clueing me in that my photo was posted on endless-sphere.com

I was holding off on putting a fairing on the LaFree because it is limited to 20 MPH.
Remove one magnet, that's 20 times two/thirds = 30
remove second magnet is 30 times one/half = 60 MPH

Hmmmm...

Let me give a rundown of the fairings , or fairing designs I have in my arsenal:

Type 5:

Type 6:

Type 7:

Type 9:

Type 10 (Actually a Suzuki GS fairing from 1982):

Types 1&2 were aluminum , and I took them to the scrap dealer for recycling , Type 3 is in my backyard, but I have not uploaded a photo, Type 8 is going to be "the eight ball", therefore I will do that one last, i.e. I still haven't built the type 8.