View Single Post
Old 05-20-07, 10:09 AM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My wife lost a Nephew last night.

The police report that he lost control of his motorcycle rounding a curve and died instantly upon striking the parked truck. My wife, and her family are obviously distraught, but I believe it has struck her quite close to home. Our 21 year old daughter is currently out there somewhere on her Yamaha R-6, learning how to ride the thing. I tremble with fear every time she takes it out onto the road. I never had a fair chance to discuss the purchase of said bike with our daughter, since she and the wife kept the purchase a secret until the last minute, fearing I might dis-approve (they were right, I do). I feel that I've been cheated out of the opportunity to have offered my version of common sense prior to the purchase, but that's all water under the bridge now.

My wife's family will have the terrible task of coming to terms with the death and dealing with their greif, and my job obviously is to remain supportive and keep my mouth shut about my daughter's bike (specially when speaking with my wife and daughter). Like a good parent, I'll try to meet the challenge and suffer my horrific fears about my own daughter's safety in silence. It's time to rely on her upbringing and good sense to prevail, for her to weigh the facts and act accordingly even if that means she just gains an added sense of her own mortality. With her well being in the balance I can only hope we did a good enough job as parents raising her and her two younger sisters. Being a parent can be so difficult at times, and as my wife's brother is experiencing right now...so painful.