Accidental Vintage Rider

Bikes: '67 Schwinn Varsity, late 70's(?) (Mike) Melton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Greetings - starting anew

Hi All,

About a month ago, I planned to donate my old bike to a co-op shop and start fresh - after all, I hadn't ridden it in 15 years. I wanted to take advantage of advances in technology.. enjoy some riding and get a little exercise, as I'm now passing my mid-40s.

Instead, I found BFs; became fascinated with, and then got hooked on, the mechanics and classic/vintage topics, and did a 180 - thanks to most of you(!) and your encouragement to simply ride, regardless of the vintage or commonality of the unit in question.

I've now disassembled virtually all of the components and, with relatively little expense and sacrifice of time, corrected things that were wrong for so many years it's embarrassing to say. I can't describe how incredibly gratifying it's been and how infrequently I (we?) have the opportunity to experience that level of satisfaction. Of course, that could be from working in IT too long.

Yesterday, I took my first multi-mile ride around my neighborhood in the city and visited a funky co-op bike shop, Box Dog Bikes, which was recommended by a messenger whom I cornered, on my way to work downtown, to quiz him on his bike. The shop had some old bits I needed and I was on my way.

Just a few sore muscles and joints remind me, now.

The information I've gleened from these posts has ben invaluable. I do want to share my favorite feature of my bike: a decal I've loved ever since I got the bike at roughly the age of 13, from my father, who had bought it used, himself.

Thanks, fellow BFs riders - see you on the road!
Attached Images