cbaronzzi
Bike!

Bikes: 2002 Cannondale R2000 Si Saeco, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
self diagnosis - I have chronic compartment syndrome

Over the last few days I have had this weird ache in my left calf muscle. It feels almost like I pulled it or strained it or something, except that it does not hurt when I flex it. I tried to blow it off as just a little soreness or overdoing it since before experiencing this I went for a run last week for the first time in months and also experienced an episode a few days ago on my bike where I got some pretty nasty calf cramps (which I am pretty sure were caused by a combination of chilly temeratures and dehydration).

Anyway, after I realized that my calf did not hurt more when I flexed it I decided that this is not a typical strain or tear. Then I noticed that it was tender all in one place and slightly swollen, like I had a pocket of fluid or a cyst or something in it. So, long story short, I did some research on the computer last night and came across an article describing "Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome." It basically is a muscle group that gets swollen but is constrained by the fascia surrounding the muscle so it can't expand, resulting in pressure in the muscle. I guess it can get pretty nasty if the pressure gets too bad and may have to be drained. For now, I am hoping I can just take some regular aspirin (antiinflammatory) and keep it iced and elevated and it will go away. I will see my Doc if it gets worse.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I would be interested to hear other ideas about what caused it, how they treated it and if they have had reoccuring trouble.