View Single Post
Old 05-22-07, 10:05 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a Brooks fan, I'm on the side, watching closely. A friend of mine has a new Anatomica. I expected him to be a bit more expressive about it. The cut-out is definitely a concern as much as it may be a design improvement. The stretch issue is what I am trying to observe as all of you begin reporting in. The other issue is the waterproofness. How does one waterproof leather while keeping the wicking action healthy? The only way I know of is to apply hot silicone, like a pair of winter hunting boots. But, that totally eliminates the ability of the leather to wick away body moisture. All saddlers that I have spoken to (well, three actually) absolutely condemn the use of silicones for working leather. Fine for purses and fine leather jackets, but not on something you want to be rubbing against for hours. To me, this looks like a great saddle. But, I'm wondering if any of you have a thought on these points??

EDIT: I have no knowledge of what compound Anatomica uses to waterproof their leather at the factory. I'm just going on what boot makers use.