Old 05-22-07, 07:14 PM
wickedchicken
Mr. nOOb

Bikes: the junk you sold at your last yardsale & a Jamis Nova, Redline 925, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need help: front derailleur not shifting at all

Hi all! I just received a new bike (a leftover Jamis) that I'm super-excited about. Unfortunately, the shop set up the front brake and front derailleur incorrectly (they're both controlled by the same integrated shifter...this is a shimano 105 STI). I got the brake taken care of (there wasn't enough cable tension, resulting in v. poor brake engagement and the shift lever flopping around). But I could really use some help w/ the derailleur.

Symptoms:
-it won't shift at all. Nothing. It was stuck in high gear & there was no response from the shifter
-this is a possibly a red herring, but I wanted to mention it: the cable seemed abnormally tight and the barrel adjuster was under so much tension that it would not turn.

So far all I did was release the cable-fixing bolt, at which point the derailleur shifted into low gear. That let me check on the barrel adjuster, which does work. So at this point, the cable is disengaged and I'm hoping for some advice on how to set it up properly. I'm a total noob when it comes to troubleshooting (though I am taking a class!)--I'd like to do this myself but could use some guidance!

Thanks gurus!