Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by magilla
Hi all,

Got my 63 cm Raleigh Technium off eBay.

I ride 16 miles each way to work, mostly on a bike path and in a park.

Have done it about 18 days with a POS MTB, and it takes me about an hour plus or minus.

So far, I have ridden without a helmet, lights, or safety gear.

I purchased a cyclo computer and LED rear flashers and headlight, and I have an orange reflector belt. I also got a cheapo 19.00 Schwinn black bikehelmet.

Anything else I need for safety?

Also, what do I need to know about bike etiquette?

Do you ride on the road or sidewalk? Which is safer?

If on the road, do you pass cars in line at a stop sign or light and go to the front, or do you pretend you are a motorcycle and wait in line? Which is more dangerous?

What are the biggest complaints from drivers, and what can I do to be a better biker? What are some no-nos?

Thanks!

Three things to remember:

1) Be as visible as possible at all times, I often use my rear light in flash mode, even on a bright sunny day, and car drivers do notice. Some riders buy a construction safety vest, they come in 3 colours, orange, yellow and green, all are intended to draw the eye, a driver that sees you, is less likely to hit you.

2) Be as predictable as possible, that means stop at stop signs, stops do not have to be long, just make sure you do stop, I always touch a foot at 4 way stops when there is other traffic, so that it's not debatable where I fit in the sequence of vehicles. I always go a little further left at stop lights to stay in the line of traffic, the only exception, is if I am turning right. This prevents what is called the right hook.

3) Always have an escape route, ride at least 1yd or 1m from the curb, this way, you have somewhere to go, if a driver isn't paying attention (most are not, most of the time it seems).

Helmets are like automotive seatbelts, a PITA to use, but the day you need it, it's good to have it, modern designs are light weight, have lots of cooling vents, and are great for attaching additional lights and mirrors to. Remember that if you crash and your helmetted head touches the ground, replace the helmet, they are for one time use only.

Additional things to pick up, are a frame mounted pump, a spare tube, a patch kit, a set of tire levers, some kind of degreaser, and chain lube. If you have bolt on wheels, rather then quick release wheels, carry an adjustable wrench at all times. I suggest adding at least one water bottle cage, preferably two, and get a couple of bottles to fit the cages. When riding in warm weather, always carry water. A lot of riders get either an underseat or handle bar mounted bag, to carry tools in. If you learn a little bike maintenance, then you can some more stuff to your tool kit. Some riders add a mirror, this can either be bar, helmet or glasses mounted, if you don't wear glasses, a good pair of sunglasses, for daytime, safety glasses for night time, can keep bugs and dirt out of your eyes.