Thread: Lube Chain
View Single Post
Old 05-28-07, 12:48 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If motor oil is used, would I need to clean the chain often? And what is the proper way to clean the chain?
On the track, not really. On the road, yes.

"Proper" chain cleaning is one topic that's even more contentious than lubing, I think. Most folk here seem to take the chain off for cleaning. I think that's a waste of time, and it seems to me that breaking and riveting a chain every couple of weeks would result in more wear. I haven't tried it myself, however, so...

Sometimes I clean with WD-40. I take the rear wheel off, use a chain tensioner or "sleeping hub" to hold the chain, spray the hell out of it with the WD, and then wipe it down thoroughly. If the chain isn't filthy or crusted over, this works nicely. For really dirty chains I use carb cleaner or a 50/50 gas/diesel mixture applied with a paintbrush and then rinsed off with a hose. This is truly effective, but will eat some kinds of paint, and will piss off your landlord if you're in an apartment.

Do you guys have a bike stand to make servicing the chains, etc, easier? If so, could yall recommend a cheap one?
Yes, I do. I don't know of any cheap full sized stands. Ebay might be your friend on this one. You might also look for sidestands that hold the bike by the stays with just the rear wheel off the ground. These used to be common. Dunno if they're still available.