zapper
Reynolds 853 Select

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Are you trying to lose just a couple more % pts of body fat or do you still have some significant weight to lose? What is your definition of "a little extra fat"?

If it's the latter everyone here is correct - all you can do is just tighten your diet down a little bit more and keep trying to lose weight all over. You can't spot reduce.

If it's the former though, one thing to keep in mind is if you started out fairly big and obese (not just a little bit chubby), then you're never going to get completely ripped. The fat cells do't ever go away - they just shrink. You will always be a tiny bit flabby in some places unless you want to spring for a surgical correction (liposuction) to remove the (unused but still available) fat cells that are still in there. The bigger you used to be, the bigger that last little bit of unavoidable flab is going to be, especially in the stomach and chest as you describe (assuming you are a male) because those are the areas where you were probably the fattest to begin with.
One more opinion....
I'm not a doctor but am a CPT (not my day job). I believe a lot of it still has to do with genetics not how "obese" one is/was... Obviously if one would have to be buried in a piano case then you have a point. However, I highly doubt that this is nashbash's case... Yes, fat cells never go away as they are needed for bodily functions, brain activity etc... Sounds like he is almost at where he wants to be and just needs to keep exercising keeping his heart rate in his target zone and watching his diet. I don't think he has a wall of skin hanging off of his stomach.....eeek If so, then an email to the Extreme Makeover team is in order...

That being said, once again.. keep ridin with this in mind..

Aerobic exercise is the type of exercise that has the potential to burn fat as a fuel. Low to moderate intensity aerobic exercise tends to burn fat, whereas high intensity aerobic exercise tends to burn glucose preferentially.

‘Burning fat’ or ‘fat-burning’ means using stored fat as a fuel to support body function, whereas reducing total body fat (which is what most people desire when they say that they want to ‘lose weight’) involves burning more calories each day. My philosopy for weight loss is to perform exercises that burn fat (riding in my target HR zone) and exercises that build muscle (Lifting weights) (because muscle cells burn more calories at rest than do fat cells). (Once again I am not a competative rider so one might not want to build too much mass)

Using strength training exercise to increase your percentage of muscle tissue compared to fatty tissue shifts your body composition in favour of energy-hungry muscle cells. Muscle cells consume many times more calories than do fat cells, at rest. A kilogram of muscle will burn 50 to 100 calories a day compared to 5 to 7 calories a day for a kilogram of fat. However, once again, we all have different genetics so not everyone will be able to get "ripped" as others. Once again, you ability to get "ripped" also decreases as you age...

RacerX has a routine that works for him and probably for many others. Once again, experiment with what works for you, develop a plan that you will stick with and you can't go wrong...