Old 05-28-07, 07:58 PM
ronsmithjunior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimn
@ronsmithjunior: Yes, I already have them all the way back, but otherwise this is what I would do. What do you mean by "dropping my heel"? You mean that your heel was lower than your pedal?
Right, my heel was lower than the pedal spindle. Think of the right angle your foot makes with your lower leg. Anything where the foot is "up" from this position can be considered dropping the heel. A lot of people do this naturally, so it is not a bad thing in itself. Some people keep their foot positioned the same as they pedal, some people "wave" their foot up and down. I have heard good and bad things about both. If you tend to keep your foot angle the same, and then for some reason change it (I got sloppy because I was pushing too hard), you could have problems.

To see somebody with a lot of heel drop, take a look at Floyd Landis during Stage 17 of last year's TdF. He had a huge of amount of drop when climbing. Obviously he knows what he is doing.

Btw, even with your cleats back all of the way you may be able to do better. When changing from my old shoes to my new ones I noticed that the slots did not match up. With my old shoes the cleats looked to be fairly far forward. However, with the cleats on the new shoes they looked to be fairly far to the back. This is with the same position relative to my foot. Some riders will drill holes in the bottom of their shoes to move them even farther back.