Old 05-29-07, 11:53 AM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little_T
I just changed my tires to suit my commuting route more properly. (From 700x26C to 700x32C) This may be a stupid question, but how do I know how much pressure the inner tube can take? The inner tube is a Kenda Tube Tour/Trek 28" 28/37-622/630 Presta valve and had no marking to indicate optimal/maximal pressure. The tire has a minimum tire pressure of 50 psi and a maximum of 85 psi. (Tire is Kenda Kwest 32-622 (700x32C - 28x1 5/8 x 1 1/4 with K-Shield)). Should I just fill it to the tires recommended pressure (50-60 psi)?
The limiting factor will be the blow-off pressure - ie, at what point does the force simply blow the tire off the rim? Tubes can handle far higher than 85 psi.

So listen to the tire, you'll be fine. Also, I wouldn't stray too far near the minimum pressure unless you really enjoy pinch flats. Especially if your commute route includes lots of bumps, potholes, uneven surfaces, and the like, I'd stay closer to the maximum than the minimum. I'd give it a good 70 psi given the range you indicate. You will NOT pop the tube.