Old 06-01-07, 12:17 AM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have a Rans Stratus with a WindWrap fairing, and it is great in winds. I now have about 6700 miles on the bike, have gone through a number of tires, and have yet to change the configuration. I did get the front rack and panniers for the front as well as the back rack and panniers for it. It is a truck, and can haul easily 50 pounds, plus me (at about 200 lbs). I have been in windstorms here, with gusts to 50 mph, and the wind seems to go around it without much effect. If I get hit, I simply lean a bit into the gust. Going into the wind, it is wind speed that makes the difference. Above someone said the LBS told them that the fairing did not make much difference until 15 mph, but what they did not say is that is wind speed, not ground speed. So if you are tooling around at 15 mph, and the wind is in your face at 35 mph, you have an effective wind speed of 50 mph, and there, a fairing will be very handy indeed. We have that here, when the Columbia Gorge winds from the east come up in the afternoon, or when a strong storm blows in off the Pacific. Also, it is great in the rain, as I only get wet from about the chest up. I don't need rain pants with the fairing (although I do get a bit wet at stop signs and lights).

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
John on Bike Path.jpg (65.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
John & Stratus March 2007A.jpg (98.7 KB, 30 views)