bigchina
Keepin' it real since '84

Bikes: Jamis Komodo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leadbutt
So I've decided it's time to look into a new rig...I've been tossing around all kinds of brands/ideas/setups and I'mfinding it to be overwhelming...

Here's the basics: I'm 6'3 and 215 lbs...I'd like to be down to 180-190 soon, but it's gonna take more work than is possible right now...I'm really not into the big drops/freeride/black diamond, so I figure 3.5-5 inches of travel will be fine...and most imortantly, I'd like to drop @ $2500-$3000, if the ride has the right components...I'm not above putting together a custom ride, but I just know buying a complete ride is usually more economical.

What I've been looking at: Trek Fuel 95, Specialized StumpJumpers, Titus Racer-X...basically good stout XC rigs...but I'm open to other brands...

Concerns: the fact that I am a heavy ole' fat ass...I wear parts out...I like to ride hard when I can and my bike takes a beating...My current rig has mostly new components, but it really didn't have great stuff when I started...Also it weighs a ton (30 lbs)...I'd like to drop to 27-26 lbs...

Why am I forsakin' the Schwinn: As much as I've denied it, single-pivot rear suspension IS archaic...sure, with the new SPV stuff, you can make it work, but if a four-link works without it????

Specific questions:

1) Do you all think a Trek carbon/OCLV bike will hold up under me???
2) What's an acceptable minimum weight for a FS to last under 215 lbs..???

Well, let me know what you think...
might wanna check out the santa cruz blur. it is the XC bike if thats what your gonna use it for. its got a sweet VPP suspension system thats used by intense also. i would not go with a carbon frame. road bikes, fine, but for mtb, carbon fiber is a bad idea.