Old 06-03-07, 03:13 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
thx for the feedback and a few notes:
1. disk wheels are totally legal. In fact, disk wheel covers are legal right now (in 2008 they'll be illegal for national events). The rider using the disk is Paul Curley, a many time national champion (cross and crit). He got third I think.

2. wide angle lenses do make you look, err, "wide". Narrower angle lens ends up being a "butt and ankle" lens (if you look at the other YouTube vids I've posted, the 2006 Nutmeg race uses that lens).

3. HRM - got similar comments elsewhere. I got dropped 6 miles into a 30 mile circuit race a couple weeks prior after riding too hard at the beginning of the race (and ignoring my HRM). This time I was simply hoping to finish and tried to scale back my efforts so I'd have reserves when I had to dig deep. Analyzing the HRM allowed me to see that when I felt "bad", it translated to something in the low 170's. In training I have a hard time pushing past 170-171. In the race I felt horrible but my HR was 170 when I checked (I'd check at the top of the hill, right after the S/F line, on perhaps 2 of every 3 laps).

At the bell it was 179 but I kept going and focused on the riders around me. It seems I topped out at 183. I haven't seen a legit max HR that high in many years. I figure I pushed about as hard as I could based on my current fitness, the nervousness I felt (unusual for me), and focusing on some basics to keep from doing dumb things - and the HRM simply allowed me to rein back my enthusiasm early in the race and let me get to the finish.

cdr