Old 06-03-07, 06:59 PM
Nika Aldrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don,

Thanks much. I'm no pro at biking, but I tend to try to get places at a decent tempo when I go for a ride. My son and I typically do 25-30 mile rides and I'm generally pushing it the whole time. I'm not a very "leisurely" riding partner, I'm afraid. We also do most of our riding on the roads or on the highway (eek, I know). With this in mind, I'm looking most seriously at the Periscope Torpedo 700. I like it because I think I'll prefer the 700 wheels instead of the 26s, and it seems like something he and I can grow with over time. Further, I think we may be living in an ultra-urban neighborhood soon, so collapsibility may be important to us. The Torpedos are available in suitcase models.

From your knowledge, what makes it only a "starter" bike? It seems to have less pipe than their more expensive bikes. I would assume that this means less wind resistance and possibly lighter weight, no? Are they more subject to damage because of the reduced structure? I'm really interested in anything affecting the choice of frame. I figure I can always upgrade components/wheels/handlebars easily over time, yes?

As for clothing, I should add that we currently live in the Pacific Northwest and we are all-weather riders. The problem I've had is him getting soaked when we go for rides in the drizzle. I'd like to get some bike clothes that don't absorb the water. Preferably just a pair of shorts and a shirt combined with some insulated long pants and jacket. I know that sounds like a bit much for a six year old, but I have to figure out some sort of solution for him on the back in the colder weather. I must admit, it's more of a problem on the trail-a-bike because of the water lapping up at him from my back wheel.

For what it's worth, my other bikes are a Specialized Sirrus I bought 3 years ago (the first bike I've owned) that has no upgrades and the trail-a-bike on the back. My other bike, a LeMond Buenos Aires was recently totaled in a driveway car accident. I plan on selling the trail-a-bike and turning the Sirrus into my solo bike for just getting to the grocery store and back and then making the tandem our regular rider.

Thanks again for all the help.

Nika