Old 06-05-07, 07:49 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Nice. Too bad this doesn't exist everywhere.

About a year ago I went before a group of north county supervisors in an effort to get a wide road built as part of a new county loop. The goal of the project was to tie some county roads together to make a complete off freeway back country loop, so that in case of fire or other road closure, one could take an alternate route. I went before that board and asked that the road be made wide enough to share with cyclists... who readily rode the other connecting roads which were narrow. The current situation is such that a cyclist must take the lane.

I presented the argument that a wider road would allow it to be shared by cyclists vice the current situation where cyclists must take the lane and motorists might find themselves delayed. There was no mention of bike lanes... just a slightly wider road was all that was asked for.

The response was quite negative.

Fortunatly, the request went all the way to the county seat where making the road wider "was taken under advisement."

Sometimes getting just a few extra feet of roadway can be a real battle.

The contrast between Oregon and California for instance is quite eye opening... with OR having nice wide shoulders well marked and with huge signs along 101... and just over the imaginary "dashed line" to the south into CA, the shoulder dissapears and the signs become irregular, and quite small.