View Single Post
Old 04-28-04, 08:32 PM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The shoelaces in my Shimano bike shoes have been frayed for some time but none of the bike shops seem to stock replacements, telling me to go to shoe shop instead. Me being the slack bugger I am never bothered to actually follow through with this advice. Yesterday I paid the penalty, one of the shoelaces snapped as I was putting the shoes on to ride home from work!

Thought I might be able to get away with them being short if I pulled it out and relaced it but the ends were too frayed And I couldn't feed them through the loops of the shoe. Bugger! What to do?

Nothing I could do (except catch the bus home!) so I chose to ride the best I could with one laced up shoe and one without any laces. It wasn't as bad as I thought, still not very good though.

I detoured past a LBS on the way just incase by some miracle they had a shoelace lying around in the back of the workshop or under the counter. No such luck but the guy suggested using a cable (zip) tie.

Just looped it through the top two loops of my shoe and it worked like a charm! Better in fact than my other shoe with the done up lace still in it! I was seriously contemplating taking the lace out of the good shoe and replacing it with a cable tie as well (but I didn't)!

Well done LBS!