Old 06-14-07, 03:03 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That said, I must admit that I struggle with the question of where the line is between the set of cycling behavior that is consistent with general principles and rules of the road, and the set of behavior that includes best practices that go beyond merely operating consistently with the rules of the road, and which of the two VC refers to.
So you are not sure which parts of your Wikipedia article, or other definitions in this forum, go beyond the basic definition of VC?

----

You once gave me a link with 5 basic principles of VC. Here it is again:
http://www.wright.edu/~jeffrey.hiles/essays/listening/ch4.html
Are the 5 basic principles* listed here VC#, HHVC%, or occupying the grey area?

-----

• Drive on the right side of the roadway, never on the left and never on the sidewalk.
  • When you reach a more important or larger road than the one you are on, yield to crossing traffic. Here, yielding means looking to each side and waiting until no traffic is coming.
  • When you intend to change lanes or move laterally on the roadway, yield to traffic in the new lane or line of travel. Here, yielding means looking forward and backward until you see that no traffic is coming.
  • When approaching an intersection, position yourself with respect to your destination direction—on the right near the curb if you want to turn right, on the left near the center line if you want to turn left, and between those positions if you want to go straight.
  • Between intersections, position yourself according to your speed relative to other traffic; slower traffic is nearer the curb and faster traffic is nearer the centerline (Forester, 1993, p. 246).
#
the set of cycling behavior that is consistent with general principles and rules of the road
%
Helmet-Head-brand-VC
the set of behavior that includes best practices that go beyond merely operating consistently with the rules of the road