Old 06-15-07, 04:54 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I'm in the field of working with seniors and their children. Why in the world would you consider putting a 70 yo woman who hasn't ridden since she was a child on a bike or trike? Maybe a tandem stoker, maybe -but the chance of over-exerting her is high, especially if she were to try to keep up with you, or failed to admit to her fatigue/pain. If she hasn't been exercising with any regularity, talk to her Dr. about heart attack, stroke, etc. and her exertion limits.

For most seniors, just walking where the surface is smooth and predictable is the best exercise. It is weight bearing, can be cardio-vascular, minimizes the chance of a fall (over bike riding or roller skating or other wheeled activities), increases the chances for conversation and socialization, requires no special balancing skills, etc. Instead of going for a bike ride where she can't keep up with you, go for a walk TOGETHER.

Did she ever swim? Water exercises are great for seniors as well.
Man, if my wife had believed you, we wouldn't have two bikes in the garage for her regular use, even with a total knee replacement. I regularly lead "senior" bicycle rides with members of our church and others. We have folks from 65-84yo who ride bikes excellently, and no, they aren't regular riders like I am.

70 is young unless you think it is old!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-15-07 at 05:48 AM.