View Single Post
Old 06-18-07, 12:13 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats stonecrd! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just wanted to post my recent dealer experience.

I stopped in at a local shop and was talking with the owner about putting a compact on my Trek 2300. I ride a lot of hills, and I also wanted to see if I liked the compact before I bought a new bike in the next few months. As were were talking, I was looking at an '06 Scott CR1 SL he had. He asked me what my size was (56) and he said "When you bring in your Trek, why don't you take this one home to ride while I'm working on your bike?". Well, of course I said "OK!". I brought in my Trek the next day, and he set up the Scott to the same fit as my Trek. He even put on a Fizik Arionne saddle like the one I ride now so riding a different saddle wouldn't "confuse" me.

I had the Scott for about 3 days, took it out on a couple of short rides by myself, took it on a couple of evening club rides, and decided to buy it (at least 100 miles test ride). Also, this guy matches internet prices for good customers, and he matched the lowest CR1 SL price from a brick & morter store with an internet site!

And there's more - he gave me his "team" discount on the compact crank (Shimano).

The only problem is that now I've got a compact on my older (winter/rainey day) bike, and a 53/39-25 on the new, super light bike that I'd most like to use for climbing. He told me to ride it for a while, and if I wanted a compact on the Scott, he'd "work things out". In addition to the crank question, I think I'm going to get a little shorter stem to move the cockpit back a couple of cm into a more climbing friendly position.

I can't say that buying the new bike was an impulse. I knew that I wanted a bike, knew the bikes I as interested in, and the critical part - ordered a Seven catalogue, layed it on the coffee table at home, and casually said to my wife "These are pretty nice bikes - and the frames are only about $4000"

I was just waiting for the right opportunity, and the right opportunity presented itself.

Once again, enjoy your new ride!