Old 06-21-07, 01:41 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Jeff Oatley, placed 7th in RAAM this year, on an all-carbon Orbea Orca.... I believe the geometry is road racing; definitely not touring or randonneuring.

Edit:

Oh by the way, don't forget that a lot of bikes of all sorts have CF seatposts. You might want a metal one if you're going to clamp a rack onto it.

And why not use that Dahon Speed Pro you used to love?!?

Again, totally cool if thats what you are into.
Jeff probably had a support car full of wheels, meals, and whatever else he needed following him around.
Much different than most randonneurs heading off into the night between controls at mini marts in sometimes rural country.

CF can make a perfectly great bike... perfectly great for rando if you like what most CF bikes offer.
I think its critical to get the fit right, then make sure that the components are comfy for the long haul.
What feels great for a 60 mile club ride or even a century may not feel so great after 400k.

We also tend to over analyze all things bicycles. (I know I do...)
Borrowing the words of a former secretary of defense "You go to a brevet with the bike you've got."
If the body armor starts failing after 300k... you know you have some things to work on.
Try to adapt the machine to the body, not the other way round.