Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stujoe
Thanks for the link!

I know my current tires are way overkill for my use. I am more than likely going to replace them. There are so many different options out there, though. lol

I was thinking something smoother down the middle with some grip on the sides might work. Something like the Specialized Crossroads. The link above doesn't like that type much though. I am a little afraid to go with something like the Specialized Nimbus which doesn't have much tread at all because I am not sure how it would handle on the limestone and packed dirt. I have a No Fall rule I like to obey.
I don't know that I'd say "overkill" they're just totally mismatched to the surfaces you ride on.

Something like the Nimbus would be an excellent choice. The ones that are smooth in the middle and knobby on the side are snake oil, a generally bad design. Their handling changes suddenly as you lean over into a sharp turn and the knobs begin to meet the surface. The knobs have much worse roadholding on hard surfaces than smooth tires give, because the knobs bend over in unpredictable ways.

Are you in the habit of doing tight high-speed cornering on the limestone trails you ride?

Knobby tread is BAD for traction on hard surfaces. Smooth tires are the SAFEST as well as the most comfortable and easy rolling.

Knobbies are ONLY useful in mud, soft sand and similar surfaces.

Sheldon "Bald Is Beautiful" Brown