Old 05-12-04, 07:09 PM
HarryK

Bikes: Sano, Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicicletta
So, today was the day that I got intimate with my bike. I took off both tires and gave the entire thing a good cleaning. I checked the pressure in my tires, examined just how it is the gears move, that kind of thing. It seems two months is FAR too long to go without cleaning, especially when you live in one of the most polluted cities in the world...(I blame EVERYTHING on pollution...so it could just be normal grime for all I know). Anyway, I started having a look at all of the bells and whistles on my bike. The bike came directly from the Giant manufacturer in Taiwan and it doesn't have a "make". The frame is designed for tourering, with custom panniers and all and I've been told that the components are good.

hmmmm...I don't know. I know that the Rapid Suspension Technology has me baffled (so any advice tips on how often I have to put air into them would be great).

All right. I've vowed to learn how to repair what I might need to repair on a tour (due date: July 15th) and today was day one. It didn't go so hot. There was a lot of mystified pauses and head shaking. But as the bike sits, once again assembled, I feel like I learned a lot. However, I must have screwed SOMETHING up, as now my chain rubs the outside of my front derailleur (the fact that I just learned what a front derailleur is today should speak volumes). Tomorrow, it's into the bike shop for a tuning. Great, you might think....a good lesson to be had....but I live in Seoul, which means that my bike mechanic speaks Korean, making it hard from me to get much out of the explanation.
boo-hoo.
My question: it seems like there are many extremely knowledgable people on this forum, discussing things that involve a lot of lofty bike vocabulary. Did you just learn like me....a repair book and a lot of headshakes? Did you take a class? Should I attempt to fix my front derailleur myself (other posts indicated that I likely have to adjust the rear derailleur....) or take it into someone who knows what they're doing?
Inspiration would be great, as I sit with very dirty fingernails and I strong resolve to learn.
I'd start with the Barnett's manuals at the top of this Forum....very thorough, and you can download them for free. They are a great resource IMO. The chapter on adjusting the FD will explain how to check the cable tension and/or adjust the "H" screw to allow your cage to move out just enough to stop the rub. If you take time to read the explanations and follow the steps in order, I'll bet your be successful.

Second point I'd offer is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Many new components don't require routine lube or maintenance, and as a result aren't made to be taken apart. Apart from lubing the chain and filling the tires, there just isn't a lot to do, which is a good thing of course.

Curious as to where you ride in Seoul. The death-wish driving style would certainly keep me out of traffic on a bike....I thought it was pretty scary in a car.